Thursday, March 1, 2012

And so we mourn Davy Jones (1945-2012)

I want to dedicate my page today to Davy Jones, who died yesterday (29 Feb 2012) of a heart attack at age 66. What a shock!
My sister and I used to rush home from school to watch the Monkees and never missed an episode.  We joined the Monkees fan club and listened to their records over and over until the grooves nearly wore out!  We collected Monkees buble gum cards and swapped them with other devotees until we had a full set, then carefully pasted them altogether until we had a giant-size poster of them.
Monkee swaps


When the Monkees toured Australia I saw them on 19 September 1968 at Festival Hall in Melbourne, 2 days before my 14th birthday.
There were 2 concerts in Melbourne, I went to the 2nd one on 19 Sept.

It was overwhelming to be in that hall of teenagers and we stood on our seats and cried and screamed for 2 hours.  When it finished I was deaf from the noise for hours afterwards, and I suspect that probably affected my hearing to this day.


Mike, Davy, Mickey

An early pic from their TV series
Ah.. if only we could stay young and beautiful for ever !


So - thank you for the music Davy, the fun, the thrills and your contribution to the mad and wonderful Sixties for those of us who were lucky enough to be there and enjoy it.




Davy Jones - gone but definitely not forgotten

No comments: